Monday, March 21, 2016
Global Warming: The Future is Happening NOW!
Skiers thread their way through patches of dry ground at California’s Squaw Valley ski resort. Several Lake Tahoe-area ski resorts have closed due to low snowfall as California’s historic drought continues. Photograph: Max Whittaker/Getty Images
The “alarming” and “unprecedented” rate of climate change is “sending a powerful message to world leaders”, the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) has warned.
Releasing its Status of the Global Climate report, the WMO – a United Nations body – detailed the string of climate and weather records that were broken in 2015, including global temperature records, exceptional rainfall, devastating droughts, unusual cyclone activity and intense heatwaves.
“The year 2015 will stand out in the historical record of the global climate in many ways,” said WMO secretary-general Petteri Taalas in the report.
“The future is happening now,” he said in a statement released alongside the report. “The alarming rate of change we are now witnessing in our climate as a result of greenhouse gas emission is unprecedented in modern records.”
Global food production threatens to overwhelm efforts to combat climate change
Each year our terrestrial biosphere absorbs about a quarter of all the C02 that we produce.
global-food-production- threatens-to-overwhelm- efforts-to-combat-climate- change-55946
Rouhani’s Moment of Truth
Iran’s president may have popular support, but the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has guns. Whoever wins this fight will shape the country for years to come.
Turmoil in Eastern Saudi Arabia
The Saudi state is highly fragile with disparate cultures, distinct tribal identities and tensions between a Sunni majority and a Shi’ite minority, notably in the oil-rich east. It could divide into five smaller regions.
Gallup poll comes as new campaign counters nuclear's "clean energy myth"
Posted by Unknown at 11:53:00 AM
- Severe Global Overpopulation = Growing More with L...
- India's Farmers' Suicide Rate Increases as WATER C...
- "Frackquakes" Threaten Millions
- 64% of Americans Concerned About Climate - Hitting...
- Mercury Rapidly Spreads to Land Foods
- Austerity Caused Flint Water Crisis: Rich vs Poor?...
- Economic Globalization Accelerates Destruction of ...
- Good NEWS: U.S. BIG Solar Sets Stage for HUGE Boom...
- Global Warming: The Future is Happening NOW!
- Today's "Sled Dog TIMES" Headline - NO WINTERS IN...
- Good #CLIMATE News: Peabody Bankruptcy Signals End...
- Dr James Hansen: “We Have a Global Emergency”
- Arctic Wedges Melting, Portrays Warming Trends Sti...
- Global ALERT: February Hottest in 100 Years - Says...
- Emission Books Were Cooked - Now Where's Al Gore?
- Former JPN PM Admits - #Fukushima Massive Devastat...
- Optimism Over Climate Change Progress Premature?
- Millions at Risk Should Mosul Dam Fail
- Crisis: As Pollinators Buzz to #Extinction
- North Korea Planning Strike; Arming Missiles with ...
- Violent Mega-Quake Slams #Indonesia
- Methane Time Bomb Closer Than Feared?
- Greenpeace: #India Global Pollution's Bad Boy?
- ▼ March (23)
- ► 2015 (100)
- ► 2013 (124)