Tuesday, August 11, 2015
Americans Switch To Renewable Energy Pacing Records, & More
While the sudden rapid switch to renewable energy sources is a good trend for obvious and various reasons , it is not a cure-all by any means. Why? Simply because we are also depleting the non-renewables needed to create renewable energy sources, exponentially. That too is unsustainable and cannot go on forever, thereby defining the real essence of our human predicament.
Shortly after his publication, my grandmother figured out that Keynes was wrong, over 60 years ago , when she metaphorically stated , without the eloquence of mathematical reflection - " you cannot draw blood (resources) from a stone (earth)"
The math is right, but more importantly, so was grandma's now famous analytical observation.
A plume of orange muck from a large mine waste spill in Colorado has drifted about 55 miles downriver and is closing in on New Mexico, prompting communities to take precautions until the sludge passes.
Bees are still dying at unacceptable rates, especially in Florida, Oklahoma and several states bordering the Great Lakes, according to the Bee Informed Partnership, a research collaborative supported by the USDA. Last month, Ohio State University’s Honey Bee Update noted that losses among the state’s beekeepers over the past winter were as high as 80 percent.
Oregon has taken less of a hit. Researchers say innovative beekeepers will be critical to helping bees bounce back.
Low-income residents who wanted to follow the wealthy to the suburbs would have had a difficult time. Many wealthy suburbs passed zoning ordinances that prohibited the construction of affordable-housing units or the construction of apartment buildings in general. Some mandated that houses all be detached, or are a minimum size, which essentially makes them too expensive for low-income families.
To return from Europe to the United States, as I did recently, is to be struck by the crumbling infrastructure, the paucity of public spaces, the conspicuous waste (of food and energy above all), the dirtiness of cities and the acuteness of their poverty. It is also to be overwhelmed by the volume and vital clamor of American life, the challenging interaction, the bracing intermingling of Americans of all stripes, the strident individualism. Europe is more organized, America more alive. Europe purrs; even its hardship seems somehow muted. America revs. The differences can feel violent.
Posted by Unknown at 6:00:00 AM
- ► 2016 (142)
- NASA Warns & Projects Faster Rising Sea Levels, & ...
- California: Look At Mother Nature On The Run In Th...
- Pakistan Heat Wave Killing Hundreds, & More
- Next Mass Extinction, Our Prospects Not Promising,...
- Ultimately Economic Growth Is Unsustainable - Now ...
- Melting Artic Ice Horrors Rapidly Creating NEW MAM...
- Apocalypse Forest Fires "NOW" Rage In Siberia, & M...
- Americans Switch To Renewable Energy Pacing Record...
- Not So Rosy: Shale Gas Reality Check, & More
- Growing Climate Nightmares Are Here, & More
- Three Fukushima Executives To Be Prosecuted, & Mor...
- Coming Soon To Land Near You: Mongolia 80% Crop Fa...
- Fish Dying By Millions As Heat Bakes Hatcheries, &...
- "STATE OF EMERGENCY" Declared As California Wildfi...
- ▼ August (14)
- ► 2013 (124)